Fitness and Exercise Tips
As we age, our bodies lose muscle tissue and our metabolism slows down. Exercise is the best way to get physically fit and lose weight. Starting an exercise regimen at any age is extremely beneficial and can add years to your life. Working out takes discipline and should not be painful. "No pain, no gain" is just a myth and is not good advice to follow. Exercise should make you feel healthy and fit, not looking for the ibuprofen and ice packs.
Experts advise that 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic activity at least three times a week is beneficial for both men and women. Select the best plan that is favorable to your lifestyle, whether it is at home or a fitness club. Opt for a form of exercise you will enjoy the most and start out slowly, increasing your activity and work out-time gradually. Consider adding basic weight training to build muscles, burn calories, and control body fat.
Aerobic Activity Training
- ✔ Bicycling
- ✔ Brisk walking
- ✔ Dancing
- ✔ Jogging
- ✔ Jump Rope
- ✔ Roller-skating
- ✔ Skiing
- ✔ Swimming
- ✔ Tennis
For beginners, try increasing personal fitness in your everyday life by walking more, doing some yard work, painting, and parking your car further from your destination. Not only will you have the satisfaction of getting things done, you'll enjoy the benefits of being physically fit.
You don't need to lump your exercise all in one session. Try it in 10 minute increments if this is easier for you and as time allows. While there's no plan or guarantee for everyone, get started and find out what works for you.
Consult your physician before starting any exercise routine and understand that diet and nutrition will play a big factor in your overall results.
- ✔ Get busy at home. Clean your house more frequently, do more gardening and yard work.
- ✔ Walking is one of the most popular forms of exercise, and for a reason. It's easy to do and comes naturally.
- ✔ Begin exercising at least 20 minutes a day. Start slow.
- ✔ Don't jump right into exercise. Warm up and stretch first to get your blood circulation flowing. Use your free time to try new routines.
- ✔ Take it one day at a time, with realistic goals.
- ✔ Always have a bottle of water and a towel on hand when exercising.
- ✔ You don't need to invest in fancy fitness equipment. Buy yourself a $5 ab-roller, this is very easy to travel with.
- ✔ Treadmills and exercise bikes are great aerobic activity tools for cold months indoors.
- ✔ Don't allow yourself to watch your favorite TV show unless you do it on a treadmill or exercise bike.
- ✔ Add entertainment such as music or tv to your indoor activity.
- ✔ The more muscle you gain, the higher your metabolism.
- ✔ Get family and friends to exercise with you.
- ✔ Add hand weights gradually to your routine.