Makeup Tips and Tricks
Makeup is a great beauty enhancer and perhaps one of the finest ways a woman can transform herself. Application can be intimidating at first but once you learn the proper techniques, you'll discover a whole new way to define your best features and improve your self-confidence. Not only that, it's fun!
Here, we'll share our favorite makeup tips and tricks to give you a stunning look for any occasion. From face to eyes to cheeks to lips, you'll find the basics as well as advanced methods used by makeup artists. With quality cosmetics and the correct brushes, you'll soon become an expert yourself.
- ✔ Determine which type of foundation will create the perfect base for you.
- ✔ Your foundation should match your face and neck, so don't try it on your hand or arm for color a match.
- ✔ Use a foundation with a sunscreen with at least SPF 15 to prevent skin damage.
- ✔ Ask for samples at the cosmetics counter but not before determining your skin type.
- ✔ You will probably need a different shade for each season. Don't use the same one all year long. Blending colors may be the only way to get a perfect match.
- ✔ Apply foundation on your eyelids, lips and into your neck for a more natural look. This also is a good setting for eye shadow and lipstick and helps it stay on longer.
- ✔ For clear complexions, sometimes all you need is a tinted moisturizer for a natural look.
- ✔ Liquid foundation is usually water based and is best for dry skin. Use a sponge or your fingers to blend from the nose, out.
- ✔ Liquid foundation can settle and separate, so always shake it before use.
- ✔ Apply loose translucent powder with a large cosmetics brush to set your foundation and keep it from running in hot and humid weather.
- ✔ For dry skin, apply a light moisturizer before your foundation.
- ✔ Powder foundation is ideal for oily skin and will help reduce shine.
- ✔ Use a concealer for those nasty blemishes and pat lightly with pressed powder.
- ✔ If your foundation is too heavy, add a couple drops of moisturizer to thin.
- ✔ After application, go outside or near a window to check for blunders.
- ✔ Keep lips moisturized at night with lip balm or petroleum jelly.
- ✔ Apply pressed powder on and around your lips if your lipstick has a tendency to "bleed."
- ✔ Use a lip liner that closest matches your lipstick or one shade darker.
- ✔ If you're fair-skinned, avoid dark colors that appear too harsh.
- ✔ To avoid getting lipstick on your teeth, run your finger through the middle of your lips and pull it back out after application. The excess will come off on your finger, not your teeth.
- ✔ Unless your teeth are sparkling white, avoid coral and orange lipsticks. Instead, try red, pink or plum.
- ✔ Use a medium-sized blush brush to avoid a striping affect.
- ✔ For tan or dark skin, apply bronzing powder to cheeks in lieu of blusher.
- ✔ Apply blush to the apple of your cheeks and just underneath your jaw. Avoid the old technique of applying blush outwards towards the temple.
- ✔ Try peach colored blush for a great sun-kissed look.
- ✔ If you don't wear foundation, try a liquid or crème blush.
- ✔ Always use good lighting and a clean mirror.
- ✔ Keep your makeup light in the summer. Heavy foundation will cake and melt off in the summer heat and humidity, leaving you with a streaked look.
- ✔ For proper hygiene, don't use outdated cosmetics, particularly around the eye area and never share your make-up with anyone.
- ✔ Try matte bronzing powder underneath your cheeks and jawbone to make your face appear slimmer.
- ✔ Use cotton swabs to pick up any eye shadow that has fallen on your cheeks or face.
- ✔ If your powder blush or eye shadow breaks up in the compact, use alcohol to press it back together.
General Makeup Tips