Wedding Beauty Tips
Getting engaged and planning a wedding is one of the most exciting things you will do in your life. As if that isn't enough, when your wedding day nears, you will need to focus on your beauty, hairstyle, and makeup needs.
How you look on your wedding day will be the single most important thing people will remember. Photographs and videos will document your glory and bring pride when walking down memory lane. Plan your makeup and hairstyle well in advance and you will look simply radiant.
Before Your Special Day
Getting plenty of beauty sleep is the secret to not only how you will look on your wedding day, but how you will feel. This doesn't mean just the night before you get married, it means the entire week. While planning on beauty rest and getting your beauty rest are two different things, make it a priority to get a full night's sleep, every night. Keep any daytime naps to a minimum so they don't interfere with your ability to get that nighttime shut-eye.
Pamper yourself every night with a warm bubble bath before bed. Get out the candles and wine if necessary to set a relaxing atmosphere. Turn on the answering machine to field phone calls and ask family members not to be disturbed.
Your mind may be racing, so keep a notepad on your nightstand so you can jot down ideas and to-dos, so it won't keep you awake at night. Just knowing you won't forget the small stuff will give you piece of mind.
Eat healthy and choose your foods carefully in the days leading up to your wedding. Avoid any foods known to cause bloating and gas. Now is not the time for a crash diet. Just be sensible and you won't sacrifice your health over a couple of extra pounds.
- ✔ Consider having your makeup applied by a professional. Schedule a trial run.
- ✔ Exfoliate your skin and follow up with a toner.
- ✔ Your foundation should blend in with your skin tone. Blend it into your neck to avoid embarrassing lines.
- ✔ Neutral tones are the best for a daytime wedding.
- ✔ Use an eyelash curler to make your lashes appear longer.
- ✔ Waterproof mascara and eyeliner is a must! Brown/black will flatter both blondes and brunettes.
- ✔ To prevent clumping and flaking, make sure that your mascara is new.
- ✔ Avoid a shiny face. Powder your face with loose translucent powder after you apply your foundation. Take along pressed powder for touch ups. This is especially important for your wedding pictures.
- ✔ Stay away from crème eye shadow that will collect in creases. You need some staying power, so stick with powder.
- ✔ Apply lip liner under matte lipstick.
- ✔ Keep your foundation light to avoid any streaking and check it outdoors or in bright light when you're finished.
Your bridal headpiece will play a large role in your hairstyle choice so pick it up from the bridal shop as soon as possible. Take it with you to your salon for a beauty consultation about one month before your wedding. Your stylist will then be able to determine when you should get your hair trimmed and how to style your hair to compliment your headpiece.
Generally, if you need a trim, one week before your wedding is sufficient. If you're going for a hair cut or total change, try this two to three weeks before your wedding so you have time to adjust. If you're planning on wearing large earrings, take them along too. They may look completely different with your hairstyle and headpiece than what you imagined. Make all appointments well in advance so there are no unwelcome surprises.
- ✔ Your hair will probably be exposed to the weather more than usual. Use a conditioner or hot oil treatment to prevent frizzy hair.
- ✔ Always carry a comb and pocket-sized can of hairspray with you or have your personal attendant carry it for you
- ✔ Have extra bobby pins on hand for emergencies.
- ✔ When you get your final trim or haircut, get your eyebrows shaped. Have them touched up when you get your hair styled for your wedding.
- ✔ Don't forget your bridesmaids. Let their styles compliment your own and discuss this before they make any other beauty plans.
- ✔ Remind the groomsmen and ushers to get in for routine hair cuts the week of the wedding.
- ✔ Your hands will be in many pictures so apply a hand treatment and moisturizers routinely to get them in top shape.
- ✔ Get a professional manicure the day before your wedding, after physical labor such as hauling items to ceremony and reception sites.
- ✔ Your fragrance should be light and romantic. Don't apply any directly to your dress. Even with dry cleaning, it could leave a permanent stain.